Thursday, April 9, 2009

Grindhouse: Death Proof


Title: Grindhouse: Death Proof (2007)
Genre: Action, Adventure, Cult Horror
Rating: NR (not rated, not for kids)
Length of Time: 114 mins

What is it about?: Stuntman Mike (Kurt Russell) has murder on his mind and an indestructible car as his partner in crime. Just for his enjoyment, he uses his Dodge Charger to terrorize and kill young women on the roads. He manages to do so in Austin, Texas, but runs into (literally) a group of thrill-seeking women who turn the tables on him in Lebanon, Tennessee.

My Review: 5/5 Stars. You can call me weird, crazy, or whatever, but I really enjoyed this movie. It's not perfect, but this is what I liked about it:

1. Kurt Russell earned his salary. What a performance from a versatile actor.
2. The most graphic car crash I have ever seen. Ever.
3. Jungle Julia (played by Sydney Tamiia Poitier, THE Sidney Poitier's daughter) has the most beautiful hair. I know. I know... this doesn't have much to do with the movie itself, but I liked it.
4. A sexy lap dance from Vanessa Ferlito (who also co-starred with Rosario Dawson in "Descent") that would give Demi Moore's dance from "Strip Tease" a run for its money.
5. A highly unusual, shocking, laugh-out-loud funny, and unapologetic plot.
6. Plentiful diaglogue. This may irritate some, but it gives me the welcomed feeling that I'm eavesdropping on someone's private conversation... and I find that very entertaining.
7. One of the best soundtracks I've heard in a movie. I even played the song on the main menu several times.
8. New Zealander, Zoe Bell, appears as herself and does her insane stunt thing.

I said it wasn't perfect, so what didn't I like? I wasn't sure if the setting for the movie was supposed to be 60s, 70s, 80s or modern-day. The movie had spurts of black and white footage, an old-screen feel, and some scenes that went on entirely too long either due to poor editing, over-compensation for splitting from "Grindhouse: Planet Terror", or just more of Tarrantino's usual artsy stunts. Overall, these things and the unrealistic aspect of it all just didn't matter to me because Tarrantino can take a lot of liberties that I'm willing to accept from him as purely entertaining.

On another note, Tarrantino, like directors Spike Lee and Tinto Brass, usually makes an appearance or two in his movies. He does so again, here.

Despite the seemingly randomness of this movie, there's also a worthy message: "What goes around comes around"... and "You reap what you sow".

My Recommendation: Quentin Tarrantino's movies ("Pulp Fiction", "Reservoir Dogs", "Kill Bill, Vol. 1 & 2", "From Dusk Till Dawn") are an acquired taste, that I have acquired and do not recommend for everyone. If you ARE drawn to movies containing shocking and graphic scenes of violence and death, you SHOULD see this. This kind of movie fits in neatly with my desire to watch different, non-mainstream stuff, but IT IS NOT FOR EVERYONE. Consider yourself forewarned.

1 comment:

  1. Just want to wish you good luck on the new blog!
    See you around! :)

    ReplyDelete